Thursday, December 1, 2011

west end to lucaya


November 28th to December 1, 11

We finally got out of west end on the 29th.  We did not leave until noon as we waited for the seas to calm down.  We walked out to the point and looked at them around 10 – 11 and you could see breakers just where we were headed in the ocean and said nah, we already played that game and it was not fun.  About an hour or so later the winds had calmed and we could stand at the helm of the boat and it looked a lot better.   I think the deciding factor was we were going to have to move the boat off the seawall into another slip as the marina had some 150 ft boat reservations.  So we decided that since we were moving anyway, we might as well give it a try.  Earlier that morning I was sitting at the table and heard a bunch of commotion and looked up to see a boat sideways in the channel being blown towards us.  Not good.  I went out on the dock and the guy had crossed the gulf stream the night before and the pitch from the waves was 40 degrees and his fuel must of got churned up and he called it “brown slurry” was clogging his engines.  He was being towed in.  (I could not see the tow boat cause of the boats behind us from where I was sitting)  I went out to see if I could help.  It was a mess.  I did help pull a line and fend off so his anchor did not plow into the dock but was glad when kirk showed up as then I could step back.  I really need to get the “quick get the line around the pole secure “  down and I do not.  I was helping the guy on the boat (who was an old salt, with an old steel boat with a sticker that said dive rescue boat) anyway I was helping fend off the dock and we both said sh*t at the same time.   Thought that was kinda funny.  Enough of that story.

Kirk saw a huge turtle in west end.  I missed it as I was in the shower.  Durn

Just a note on the lizards here.  At west end they had curly tails.  Went up around in a circle.  I had never seen ones with curly tails.  Even out in the desert in California they did not have curly tails nor ones in bvi’s so I thought oh the bahama lizards have curly tails.  On our first night in lucaya  which is a port on the same island as west end and of course in the bath house on the wall beside me is a lizard about 6 inches and NO CURLY TAIL.  So go figure.  The ones at west end were much more colorful.   Maybe today if I can ever get the pictures loaded into the blog I will search the internet and check it out.

Our ride over here was good.  Saw the silly flying fish.  They are a riot.  They kinda crash land back in the water.  Sometimes they fly a long distance.  These looked like little blue ones. The color could have been the reflection of the water and the sun.  they probably were the white ones we saw before.  The water was that indescribable blue color .  I think it is just clean water and so deep that makes it that color.  We were in over 1000 feet of water.  We even got to put up the genoa and were sailing along and then the wind died. 

At our new dock, you can see the fish just swimming around.  The little yellow and black striped ones.  Also some little ones all colors by the pilings.  I will try to get a picture of them. 

I was so excited when we made it to lucaya.  It was our first ocean trip by ourselves.  I hope the first of many.  Kirk was not nearly as happy as me.  Maybe no big deal for him, but I felt like we had finally really started on this adventure.  Must have been just silly girl stuff. 

We are here for a while due to business and weather.  Kirk is constantly fixing stuff on the boat and I am constantly desalting and polishing.  We have had a time with our water and are still working on getting it regulated.  The filter that kirk installed at the kitchen sink is working like a charm and that water is good. 

Yesterday we walked out of the marina complex and down the street a bit to a gas station with a little shop.  The bars on the windows and doors did not give a warm and fuzzy feeling.  Also the guy outside was the first person we have run into that was not pleasant.   The marina got busy yesterday with boats coming in.  I guess 3 sail boats came in.  they all seemed to know one another.  Some have been cruising for 20years or should I say wintering down here for years.  The guy who came in last night and is next to us is from north east, Maryland. 

We made the trip to the grocery store via the public bus here.  That was uneventful yet we learned a lot of the “lay of the land” and how to get around.  Now get this.  The public bus driver gave us his card to call him and he would take us wherever we wanted to go.  He said the taxi cost way to much money.  That was a crack up.  We did get some stuff at the store so we are set for a while.  Most likely make a run before we leave but all set for now.

Our next adventure is to the marina and hardware stores that are down town.  Now that will be a bus ride.

Back to working on the pictures to see if I can get them posted on the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment