Friday, December 9, 2011

adventures at grand bahama yacht club




captain of the dingy


the boat from the movie ghost


Our boat in the distance. coming back from dingy ride up the channel


boat house with a hinkley underneath. they live upstairs. chandeliers in the boat house


c climbing wall on a power cat. this is for jenna



christmas tree in the crazy shopping place


here is a bridge we went under during our exploring


December 7, 11 to early am December 9, 11

We have been in grand Bahamas yacht club for a week now waiting on weather. We have had many experiences. We have been learning about the weather and how it affects tides and surge and what anchorages would be good due to conditions and what ones would not work. So much to learn.

We did go back to the tourist market to get gas in the dingy and check on the phone person and the crazy lady who wants to do my hair caught me being hit on by another hair person. Ah boy that was a crazy moment. “you come right now and I do your hair” yet she still has a big turban on her head. I decided against having my hair braided. Maybe when bif gets here. We had talked about it on our way down the coast.

I got a good dog fix from a seeing eye guide dob the other night. Her name was roxy and gave me good kisses all over my face. She was a lab. Sweet as can be.

We have done lots of work on the boat. Got the oil and fuel filters changed. Also the oil. Kirk has ordered bunches of replacement parts that Christian and Elizabeth will bring down. We had a an adventure going into town (not nice parts) to try and get filters down here and also a sim card for phone. Got ripped off on the sim card deal. Ended up buying a phone and putting 50 minutes on it for calls down here. We will continue to use the google call so if you see unavailable on your phone it could be us calling.

We went exploring in the dingy the other day and I took my phone to take pictures only to find out that mac and androids do not get along. So then I tried to email the pics. No such luck. I may try again today since there really is not much going on. I wanted to be fancy and put pics in with the next blog post. Since it did not work I was discouraged and have not written.

Hurrah I got it to work.

I apologize for the clarity of the pictures. I am still learning and when I can use my camera I hope they will get better.

It is now the 9th of December. Can hardly believe it. 7 or 8 new boats came into the marina in the past two days cause the gulf stream was crossable. It is fun having the dock full of new people to meet. Two of the boats have dogs on board. One of the boats is a cruising family who rescued their dog off a deserted island off of panama. From the bits and pieces I have learned from talking to them they had to ask the leader of the tribe from the islands for permission to take the dog (puppy) is a heartwarming story and is in the November issue of Cruising World.

Yesterday the bilge pump blew off the dock. It was late in the afternoon and so we decided to wait till this morning sun to look for it. That has delayed us one more day in leaving. I believe that there are a bunch of boats leaving tomorrow.

Funny thing is we can see the bottom and it is over 15ft deep. Could not reach the bottom with the boat hook. So if we can see the pump we will go fishing with the grapnel to try and get it off the bottom.

So this morning I was going to the bath house and heard a big splash and then a flat spot out in front of the boat about 20 feet. When I came back I was looking for the bilge pump and this spotted ray came swimming up. Beautiful wingspan about 3 – 4 feet and this long skinny tail about 5 feet. Sorry no picture.

The other morning I went swimming with a Canadian couple. It was cold but so fun. I may go again today and get kirk to take a picture of me in this fountain that is in the pool. “under the Tuscan sun”

Doing a final load of laundry hopefully last load. Kirk just said maybe we should wait to go day after tomorrow. We shall see. now we are leaving on saturday. we put together as fortress anchor this morning and stowed it where if we need it we will have it. the holding down here is much different than the mud of the chesapeake. hopefully we will be in sand not grass. the wind has picked up again and tomorrow should be a ride of rides. one boat came back in this morning after leaving saying it was toooo rough. it was a power boat so hopefully we will not have that problem.

we had quite an adventure the other day going to a real grocery store downtown. we got to see some of the government buildings and more sections of the town. long trip but worth the experience of seeing and interacting with the locals.


1 comment:

  1. GREAT blog and pictures!!!! Wish you safe travels today as you head out. Look forward to hearing from you in a few days/week. Love you!

    ReplyDelete