Saturday, November 30, 2013

Heading to Nevis/St Kitts


Approaching Nevis with a cloud cover on the top of the mountain

We were heading to Nevis/St Kitts today based on the weather forecast.  However, as usual the weather men were way off and we had seas from the side that rolled the boat, and less then 10 knots of wind that was mostly from directly behind the boat which makes the boat not sail.  Every once and a while a squall would come by and we would get some wind.   The day progressed with sails up, sails down, engines on, engines off, roll and pitch.   Was not a very comfortable ride. I saw a fish jump out of the water chasing the flying fish.   It was the first time I have seen this after watching the flying fish for two years.   It jumped three times chasing the flying fish.  

 To break up the boredom Kirk had two fishing lines out.   He was getting discouraged and said to me "This fishing ain't all it's cracked up to be."  Shortly after that I heard the reel spinning.  He hopped on down to find all of the line out and down to the plastic line and it was going out FAST.....   I helped him get the belt on and slowed the boat down.   He worked hard for a while.  When he finally got the fish up to the boat he was hollering for me to get the camera.  This is what I saw


It was a 4 - 5 foot atlantic spearfish.  It was beautiful.   I am so sorry I did not get a better picture.   The boat was rolling and pitching and the durn fish kept trying to get under the boat.  All the while I was supposed to be driving the boat.  It finally did get under the boat and snapped the leader.  Made for some excitement!



Kirk still working with the fish.

On to St Martin tomorrow.

1 comment: